Thursday, April 25, 2013
Today, sectors like medical, computer, management etc. are at the top. After two years, Biotechnology field would be holding position of Super-one. This is the time of information technology along with information and communication technology, but, bright future of human race would be in the hands of Bio-technology in coming days.
What is Biotechnology ?
Biotechnology is a new technology developed by combining biology and engineering. Plants, animals, insects and entire living organisms are part of biotechnology field. Biotechnology impart education on how to use them for welfare of human race.
Fields of Biotechnology :
(1) Genetic Engineering, (2) DNA Technology, (3) Genetic Science, (4) Microbiology, (5) Chemical Engineering, (6) Botany, (7) Zoology, (8) Biophysics, (9) Biochemistry, (10) Agriculture, (11) Food Industry, (12) Pharmaceutical Industry, (13) Detergent Industry and Chemical Industry, (14) Computer Science, (15) Biomechanical, (16) Bioinformatics
National Institutes :
(1) Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, (2) Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advance Research, (3) Indian Veterinary Research Institute, (4) Indian Horticulture Research Institute, (5) Institute for Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology, (6) National Dairy Research Institute, (7) Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
These reputed national institutes are located at Bengaluru. Food technology is also part of
biotechnology. Government of India’s Central Food Technology Research Institute is set up at Mysore city of Karnataka State.
When in Gujarat ?
We are at present busy with just setting up information technology park. Progressing gradually in I.T. sector whereas Karnataka State has already crossed IT and ICT and has now entered into Biotechnology age. All the elements for setting up of Biotechnology Institute are available in Gujarat, however, nobody knows when it will come up.
Need for a new vision :
In biotechnology, Bioinformatics is considered as the latest field. Bioinformatics emerged by use of computer technology in biotech industry. Many other field to follow this. Parents and student of Standard-12 Science need to select the course keeping in view future of Biotechnology. It is time to adopt new things.
B.Sc. in Biotechnology :
As a part of UGC professional courses, we have Biotechnology as one of the subject for B.Sc. B.Sc. / M.Sc. (Five years integrated) courses have been started in Biotechnology at Ahmedabad, Rajkot and Vallab Vidhyanagar in Gujarat. International level biotechnology courses have been started now at colleges in Karnataka. Latest courses like B.Sc.(Genetics), B.Sc. (Biotechnology) have been launched at Bengaluru.
Job and profession opportunity :
Remember, after B.Sc. in Biotechnology, sky is the limit so far as opportunities for job and
profession are concerned. There are ample opportunities in research works in Food industry for plant bidding, seed technology, detergent industry, medical science, immunity and health sciences. It is advisable to select Biotechnology course for job with handsome salary and profitable profession.
Biotech schools in India :
• School of Life Science, Hyderabad University, Hyderabad.
• Geo-technology School, JNU, New Delhi.
• The Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Thiruvanantpuram, Kerala.
• Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra
• Institute of Biotechnology, Life Science and Genetic Engineering Department, G.B.Pant Agriculture Technology Institute, Pantnagar.
• PES Institute of Technology, Bengaluru
• Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology, M.S. University, Vadodara, Gujarat.
• Shri M.A. Virani Science College, Rajkot, Gujarat.
• Biotechnology Bhavan, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad.
5-Years : M.Sc./M.Tech./A.Sc. Biotechnology program :
For this program, student of biology or science graduate can appear for entrance examination.
For this course, two main entrance examinations are being conducted by the All India Biotechnology Institute. There are 500 seats available and this entrance test is being conducted at 32 institutes. The another test is a joint entrance exam for admission to the institutes like IIT.
For admission to M.Sc. Biotechnology courses being offered by all the Universities of country, there is single common entrance test which is known as Combined Biotechnology Entrance Exam (CBEE). This exam is conducted at selected centers in country. By clearing this exam, one can get admission to the M.Sc. Agriculture, M.Sc.Biotech and M.Tech. Biotech courses. This exam is conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
For contesting in this exam, Graduation with any science subject with minimum 55 marks is
necessary. By cracking this exam, you can get admission to any recognized university of the country.
Examination is conducted at 68 selected centers countrywide. Application form can be obtained by forwarding demand draft for Rs.180/- in favor of Deputy Registrar, JNU, New Delhi 110 067 or from any University so designated by the JNU. In Gujarat, JNU has collaboration with M.S.University and Sardar Patel University. For further details, please visit website www.jnu.ac.in. Indicate clearly about the course for which you are applying.
Ph.D. in Biotechnology :
If you are interested in research work, Ph.D. in Biotechnology is a must. For Ph.D., fellowship is available. If you have inclination for earning livelihood through research work rather than doing a job, you can go for Ph.D. Admission can be easily secured through GAT exam (engineering graduates), UGC, IRF, CSIR, ICMR etc. In India, 6-year Ph.D. program is available at B.Sc. at institutes like IISC.