Thursday, April 25, 2013
Naval Engineering, B.Tech. Naval Architecture : Naval architect word itself describes its meaning. This is the word connected with a profession about which very few people know. This profession has its own distinction in architecture field. The work of persons engaged in this profession is to design ship, designing marine crafts like ship or boat, submarine or steamer, be it for commercial use or for requirement of naval forces for boarder protection, according to their requirements.
The main job of naval architect is to design and construct various marine crafts like merchant ships, marine oil/gas tanker, cargo ship, cruise liners etc. passenger vehicle ferry boat; war ships including frigates, destroyers, aircraft carriers, amphibious ships etc., submarine and other marine vehicles, hovercraft, multi-pool ship, hydrofoil craft etc., fishing boat, pilot vessels, rescue craft, powerboat etc.
Career opportunities : Now a days, naval architect is considered under the category of engineering and therefore, it is called engineering also. That is the reason why Naval Architect is renamed as Naval Engineer and its dignity is due to their skill and creativity. We have very few naval architect in our country. Its ratio viz a viz population if we consider, is one naval architect per 8 lakh population.
The demand is worldwide. Right now, the demand for naval architect is about 6,000 per year whereas only 3,500 step out from the colleges every year. The ship building industry has progressed a lot and therefore, demand for naval architects has increased therefore, better opportunities are created for those aspirants who wish to make career in this field.
Duties of the naval architect include attend the job of repairing, modification or maintenance of ships wherever required and to engage themselves in research and development in this field.
Courses and institutes :
After Standard-12, you have to face entrance test for admission to the Four-year Degree course of Naval Architecture. Further, graduates of Indian Navy can also go for this course for which they can go through channel of technical cadet entry, system of which is based on grading. Other than those, Degree Engineers like Mechanical, Aeronautics, Civil etc. can also go for this course of Naval Architect.
• Naval College of Engineering, INS Shivaji, Lonavala-410402. Course : Naval Engineering.
• College of Engineering, Voltaire, Vishakhapattanam – 530003. Course : B.E. Naval Architect.
• Cochin University of Science and Technology, Department of Technology, Shrikara Campus, Cochi-682022. Course : B.Tech. Naval Architect, B.E. Ship Building.
• Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai 600036.
• Indian Institute of Technology, Department of Ship Technology, Kharagpur – 721302. Course : B.Tech. Naval Architecture.
• Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi 110016. Course: Post Graduate Diploma in Naval Architecture.
• Institute of Ship Building Technology, Mayfair House, Vasco-de-gama, Goa. Course : Post Diploma in Naval Architecture.
Admission to the above institutes shall be after entrance test. Course of Naval Architecture can also be joined at Indian Navy.
Private institutes conducting Naval Architecture course :
• Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani – 333031. (admission based on merit)
• Birla Institute of Technology, PO Mesra, Ranchi-835215.
• Anna University, Chennai 600025.
• Punjab Engineering College, Sector-12, Chandigarh-160012.
This course is also conducted on professional basis at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.